THE FIVE CONCERNS OF DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
- HUMAN SURVIVAL – Water, Food, Warmth, Light, Communication, and Cash. MAKE SURE WARM BLANKETS (or sleeping bag), RAIN GEAR, BOOTS & SOCKS, WATER AND EMERGENCY FOOD ARE IN ALL THE LOCATIONS IN WHICH YOU SPEND THE MOST TIME, INCLUDING THE TRUNK OF ALL YOUR VEHICLES and WHERE YOU WORK.
- MEDICAL – First Aid, CPR, Trauma, Bloodborne Pathogen, and Training, including medical gloves for protection
- SANITATION/HYGIENE – Portable Toilet, Waste Liners, Dental Kits, Extra Eye Glasses and Medication if necessary
- RESCUE AND ESCAPE – Crowbar, Work Gloves, Goggles, Fire Axe/Mask, Dust Mask, Flashlight, Battery, Hard Hat, Duct Tape, Danger Tape.
- NON-STRUCTURAL HAZARDS – Cabinet, Book Case, Furniture (attach heavy items to walls so they won’t fall and hurt someone), Water Heater Restraints, Electronic Equipment Fasteners, Safety Attachments for Wall Pictures, Safety Hooks and cords,
THE MANDATORY FOUR “UNDER THE BED” PREPAREDNESS ITEMS
- CROWBAR – To open jammed doors or remove broken glass to escape
- SPARE SHOES – Wrap spare shoes in plastic bag. Broken glass and debris may be present on bedroom floor. (Tie bag to bed leg).
- LIGHT – Flashlight/working batteries and lightsticks. Secure to bed. With gas smell, use of flashlight can cause explosion. Make sure you have all items secured in plastic bags and attached to bed leg closest to head of bed. Have these items under all beds of those old enough to assist in emergency evacuation. TAKE THE TIME TO DISCUSS WITH ALL FAMILY MEMBERS AND DRILL PROCEDURES.
- HEAVY DUTY GLOVES – To protect hands from glass and debris.
- Have a full set of these items stored near, but not in the house. Heavy duty garbage cans at a safe distance away that can be accessed easily, are good for water tight storage. Make sure there is enough for at least one week of survival for each family member.
WATER PRESERVATION AND PURIFICATION
- Normal tap water has a shelf life of 6 months. Use (8) drops of Unscented Clorox Bleach per gallon to make water last a year. 1/2 Teaspoons = 5 gallons (or) Use 5 year Water Preserver Products.
- Use Water Purification Tablets (Iodine Base), Purification pumps, with natural or chemical filtration, or Sanitizer, (Chlorine Base) to purify water. These products eliminate harmful organisms that grow naturally in water. Shelf life of purification chemicals is from 3 to 5 years.
- 5 year shelf life water is purified, sterile, and vacuumed packed. When 5 year water is void of air and light, life of water becomes dependent on integrity of the container.
- Immediately turn off your main water control after the disaster. A broken water line else where can drain water from your water heater and cause a fire, or incoming contaminated water can ruin your existing “in house” water heater and toilet tank water supply. TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN HOW TO DO THIS BEFORE A DISASTER AND TEACH ALL FAMILY MEMBERS HOW TO DO SO, INCLUDING WHERE GAS SHUT OFF IS LOCATED AND WHERE NEEDED TOOLS ARE LOCATED, preferably attached in the location of necessary shut off.